Occupational Therapy, or OT is the therapeutic use of everyday activities (occupations) for the purpose of participation in roles and situations at home, in school, at work in the community or in other settings. Occupational therapy services are provided for the purpose of promoting health and wellness and to those who have or are at risk for developing an illness, injury, disease, disorder, condition, impairment, disability, activity limitation, or participation restriction. Occupational Therapy addresses the physical, cognitive, psychosocial, sensory, and other aspects of health, well-being and quality of life. “
At the University of Vermont Medical Center our team of expert therapists offer a compassionate approach to care backed by evidenced-based research. Our specialists work with you to find the best treatment plan specifically designed for your needs.
Occupational Therapy at UVM Medical Center: How We Compare
Our team of occupational therapists are some of the most knowledgeable and caring specialists in the area. You, the patient, is always the focus of our care.
When you choose the UVM Medical Center, you can expect:
- Patient-centered approach - Our specialists across a variety of medical fields work together to coordinate your treatment with you. You are the most important person on your treatment team, and we are here to support you.
- Research backed treatments – As a university hospital we use evidenced-based treatments with the most advanced technology in the field (adaptive equipment, assistive technology, etc.).
We offer a comprehensive approach to helping individuals safely and independently return to the activities most important.
Conditions We Treat
Our occupational therapists treat the following conditions:
We design our treatment plans specifically for you. We work collaboratively with you and your family to identify meaningful goals for recovery so that you can return to the activities that are most important to you. Treatments include:
- Strategies to improve your self-care skills
- Education for you and your family
- Equipment training
- Upper extremity rehabilitation
- Cognitive strategies
- Engagement in meaningful activities
- Household/Community management
- Visual strategies
- Fall prevention
- Driver Rehabilitation
- Concussion Management
Occupational Therapy: A Team Approach
We offer a multi-disciplinary approach to your care, which means you have a full team of experts from a variety of clinics to lean on throughout your treatment. Those clinics include:
- ALS Clinic
- Concussion Clinic
- Fall Prevention Clinic
- Movement Disorder Clinic
- Muscular Dystrophy Clinic
- Pediatric Feeding Team
- Wheelchair Clinic
Below is a list of all our locations.