Have a question?
For questions, or to find out more information, give us a call.
Telemedicine within the UVM Health Network
Telemedicine provides high-quality patient care to even the most rural of communities. It allows the patient to remain within their community and be seen by specialists, eliminating the expense and need for time-consuming travel for patients and/or specialists. This is especially relevant for Vermont and upstate New York.
Telemedicine can be incorporated into your practice as an additional care delivery method. A care plan can be developed with the patient, their local provider, and the remote specialist together, or the need for transfer to the UVM Medical Center can be determined. Should transfer be decided, the patient has already met with the doctor who will provide the care here at the UVM Medical Center. Many clinical specialties at the UVM Medical Center have the capability to use telemedicine for their consultations.
By bringing specialty medicine to patients throughout Vermont and northern New York, telemedicine helps The UVM Medical Center provide a communications network for the exchange of medical information across the region. This is especially important in treating patients in rural areas, who otherwise would not have local or timely access to specialists at an academic medical center.
Telemedicine Programs within the Network
Our providers provide real-time consultations in several clinical specialties:
- Primary Care
- Vascular Surgery
- Palliative Care
- Sleep Medicine
Other initiatives in which our providers are partaking:
- Project ECHO- Pain Medicine
- Project ECHO- Hepatitis C
- E-visits with Adult Primary Care
- E-consults with Dermatology and Adult Primary Care
We collaborate with patients via:
- Videoconferencing between patients and health care providers
- Transmitting still images, via EHR, for interpretation by a physician in a remote location
- Remote monitoring of vital signs
- Electronic visits, through MyChart (through the EHR)
To be able to participate in these programs, patients need:
- A device (computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.)
- Reliable internet
Benefits to Telemedicine
- Bring timely treatment close to home
- Reduce or eliminate travel time
- Provide access to high quality care
- Improve quality of care
- Create efficiencies in providers’ schedules
- Have regional impacts on access to specialty services
The Telemedicine team will work with you to create a program that best fits your objectives and needs. They will facilitate the project work by pulling in the right people to understand the:
- Impact on billing
- Impact on clinical efficiency
- Patient care and satisfaction
For questions or to find out more information, call us at 802-847-8266.