Perhaps your doctor told you that you will undergo radiation therapy as part of your cancer treatment. The Radiation Oncology Department at the University of Vermont Medical Center is committed to providing you or your loved one with a comprehensive approach to the evaluation and treatment of cancer.
Coming for an Appointment?
Save yourself time. Print and fill out our patient questionnaire ahead of time.
New Patient Form
Radiation Therapy: How We Compare
We have a longstanding history of providing outstanding clinical care in partnership with the University of Vermont Cancer Center. We are dedicated to providing seamless care, working closely with physicians within both the medical center and the surrounding communities.
The Radiation Oncology Department at UVM Medical Center was awarded a three-year term of accreditation in radiation oncology as the result of a recent review by the American College of Radiology (ACR). The Radiation Oncology Practice Accreditation Program (ROPA) provides radiation oncologists with third-party, impartial peer review and evaluation of patient care. The program assesses the facility’s personnel, equipment, treatment planning and treatment records as well as patient-safety policies and quality control/quality assessment activities.
Radiation Oncology: Our Technology
Our radiation oncologists use the latest radiation therapy technology. We are able to deliver high doses of radiation therapy to tumors while leaving surrounding, healthy structures untouched and minimizing side effects.
We provide patients with access to a wide range of technologies, including:
Take a Tour of Our Facility
The Radiation Oncology facility at the UVM Cancer Center offers leading-edge technology for faster, more comfortable cancer treatment for our patients.
- Designed with You in Mind - The University of Vermont Medical Center's Radiation Oncology helps to maintain patient privacy, is situated immediately adjacent to the parking garage to ensure convenient access and provides a healing environment. Located at the Main Campus on Level 2 the facility provides connectivity between the radiation oncology and hematology/oncology areas for patients and providers.
- Increased Privacy - Each treatment area includes two exam rooms and two changing rooms - with bathrooms, doors and lockers. Patients have access to private changing rooms with adjoining private toilet facilities. The changing rooms are directly across from the treatment rooms, enabling patients to access treatment without having to pass through public areas of the department.
- Enhanced Aesthetics - The space, while essentially underground, was designed to maximize the use of natural daylight through the strategic placement of windows and skylights. Building materials within the facility were chosen to promote a welcoming and soothing environment.
- Leading-Edge Technology - The UVM Medical Center's Radiation Oncology facility offers leading-edge technology that features the latest approaches to tumor localization and treatment. This new technology includes on-board electronic imaging which provides the ability to take X-rays of the planned treatment area immediately before the radiation beams are turned on, an approach that will allow for faster, more comfortable treatment for our patients. This complements our current ultrasound-based image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) program, bringing the advantages of IGRT to more of our patients.
- Green Building
- The UVM Medical Center was awarded a Gold LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for the Radiation Oncology facility. As part of those efforts, the facility is built into a hillside to reduce the need for heating and cooling year-round. The building also includes:
- A "green" roof with accessible public space, a vegetable garden, and plantings to reduce heat build-up and stormwater run-off.
- Natural lighting to reduce energy use and provide a sense of connection to the outdoors.
- Efficient lighting and innovative heating and cooling systems designed to reduce energy consumption by 20%.
- Water efficient plumbing fixtures to reduce usage by 20%.
- Use of recycled, low chemical-emitting, and locally sourced construction materials, to improve indoor air quality.
Radiation Therapy for Cancer: Services We Provide
Radiation treatments we provide include:
If you would like to request a consultation, call 802-847-3506.
We are committed to helping your patients through their cancer care. Learn more about referral information. To reach our providers directly, call Provider Access Service, 800-639-2480.