Request an Appointment
Request an appointment online with a UVM Medical Group certified nurse-midwife.
Returning patient? Log in and schedule your appointment through MyHealth Online.
New patient? Click the button below to request an appointment.
Midwifery at UVM Medical Center: How We Compare
The University of Vermont (UVM) Medical Center has the only 24/7 Certified Nurse-Midwifery (CNM) practice in the region. If you choose to be cared for by our midwives we will be by your side throughout prenatal care, labor and birth, with support for those amazing first weeks of parenting and feeding your baby.
- Our practice has been in existence for more than 50 years.
- We are the second oldest Midwifery program in the country.
- We have performed more than 13,000 births.
Midwifery Services: Our Philosophy
The midwives at UVM Medical Center believe pregnancy and birth is a normal, healthy event in the life of a woman and her family. Our pregnancy care philosophy:
- We believe that everyone deserves a satisfying prenatal and birth experience tailored to your personal preferences and health needs.
- Through education and communication, we partner with you to make important health decisions about your care.
- We believe in supporting the wisdom of the normal process of birth and strive for the appropriate use of interventions only as needed.
Pregnancy and Birth: Why Choose Us?
At UVM Medical Center you have the best of both worlds: Our nurse-midwives offer 24/7 individualized care for low-risk pregnancies, and we work alongside our physician colleagues to care for women with high-risk pregnancies.
Many people don’t realize that most births are low risk (90%) best attended by providers, like midwives, skilled at supporting the normal process of birth. For those women who need more medical support for a healthy pregnancy outcome, we have the full resources of an academic medical center to help you and your baby safely through birth. Our team of specialists includes experts in:
- Fetal diagnostics and ultrasound
- High-Risk Obstetrical Care (Maternal-Fetal Medicine)
“Your Body, Your Baby, Your Birth”
This is our motto at UVM Medical Center. Our midwives get to know you and your family so we can tailor your care to meet the needs of you and your baby. We work with women so they will know their options in the process of birth:
- Natural Childbirth: Hands-on support for an un-medicated birth through the use of movement, relaxation practices, breath awareness, massage, and water therapy (tub baths and shower)
- Water birth as an option for low-risk labors: Tubs are available in most labor rooms with one equipped with a free-standing birthing tub.
- Medication/Anesthesia: Epidural anesthesia is available for labor pain relief from experienced anesthesiologists.
Providing Holistic Care for Pregnant Women
Pregnancy and birth affect much more than your body. Transitioning to becoming a parent is a huge mental and emotional adjustment in a woman’s life. We offer a range of resources to support your emotional, social and mental health needs. We offer one-on-one and the option of group support for mothers and mothers-to-be, helping you:
- Develop coping skills and resilience for your new role
- Explore mindfulness-based practices to embrace motherhood
- Process past difficult birth experiences
- Manage postpartum adjustment disorders
- Manage anxiety and depression affected by pregnancy
Working with a Certified Nurse-Midwife: Services We Provide
The word “midwife” means “with woman.” Our board-certified nurse-midwives are experienced women educated to rigorous standards in both nursing and midwifery. They also serve as part-time faculty at the University of Vermont’s College of Medicine and School of Nursing, teaching the principles and skills involved in the process of the normal events of pregnancy labor and delivery, postpartum care, breastfeeding and well woman gynecology.
Prenatal care is provided in two office locations and all our births take place in the beautiful Lintilhac Birthing Center at the UVM Medical Center. Services we provide include:
- Care for women through their pregnancy (prenatal care)
- Specialized mental health support as desired
- Referral to specialist services as needed
- Midwifery support 24/7 for care through the birth of your baby
- Physical and emotional support after birth (postpartum care)
- Breastfeeding support
- Routine gynecologic care
- Family planning
- Consultation and collaboration with physicians to provide care for high-risk pregnancies
Make an Appointment in Essex Junction
Give us a call to make an appointment at our Essex location.
Midwifery Services in Essex Junction
Caring is at the heart of what we do and our goal is to provide you with exceptional care close to home. The UVM Medical Center partners with Champlain Obstetrics & Gynecology to offer two locations for midwifery services — One in Essex Junction and one at our Medical Center location in Burlington, VT.
To make an appointment with a UVM Medical Center midwife at Champlain Obstetrics & Gynecology in Essex Junction, call 802-879-1802.
Champlain Obstetrics & Gynecology
55 Main Street, Suite 3
Essex Junction, VT 05452
Hours: Monday – Friday 8am-5pm