Medical Nutrition Therapy: What You Need To Know
Clinical Nutrition Services at The University of Vermont Medical Center are provided by registered and state certified dietitians with specialized training in the role of food and nutrition and the therapeutic management of the following conditions:
Additionally, dietitians advise individuals about recommended diets for:
- general health promotion
- infants, children and adolescent needs
- pregnancy and lactation
- sports nutrition
Clinical nutrition services - What will happen during your visit
- We will review your concerns, personal eating habits, and food preferences.
- We will assess of how these eating habits affect specific health concerns.
- You will receive written and verbal instructions on improving eating habits to meet personal nutrition goals.
- We will offer practical tips and educational materials for guidance with food shopping and meal preparation, eating in restaurants, and making choices to improve your health.
Contact our clinical dietitians
To schedule an appointment with a clinical dietitian at The UVM Medical Center, please call 802-847-3640, Monday-Friday from 8am - 4pm. All appointments must be scheduled in advance.
For an individual appointment, a physician referral is required by billing insurance carriers — providing that Medical Nutrition Therapy is a covered benefit in the plan. Please check your plan for coverage. Medicare will cover Medical Nutrition Therapy for diabetes and renal disease only.
For patients outside The UVM Medical Center, please fax a copy of the referral and pertinent, recent medical records and lab reports to 802-847-2790.
DIET phone line
For brief nutrition questions, we offer the DIET LINE at 802-847-DIET (3438). Please leave a message and a Registered Dietitian will return your call.
Inpatient clinical nutrition services
Clinical dietitians are a part of the multidisciplinary team caring for inpatients at The University of Vermont Medical Center and Fanny Allen Campuses.
Consults for inpatients can be requested via a physician's order, by computer, by contacting the unit dietitian via their pager, or by phoning Room Service Central at 802-847-2710.