The UVM Medical Center General Surgery is dedicated to excellence in the management of surgical problems. At the UVM Medical Center, patients have access to a full spectrum of non-operative, endoscopic and surgical treatments, providing for a comprehensive diagnostic and treatment plan.
General Surgery: What Conditions We Treat
Our surgeons treat the following conditions, using the latest minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopic surgery and surgical endoscopy.
- Gastrointestinal Tract Disease
- Pancreaticobiliary Disease
- Colorectal Disease
- Morbid Obesity
General Surgery Services
The Division of General Surgery provides a comprehensive range of general surgical services, with a particular emphasis on the surgical management of gastrointestinal disease.
General Surgery services include:
- Surgical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric malignancies and diseases of the spleen.
- Pancreaticobiliary disease including surgical removal of the gallbladder and removal of pancreatic and biliary tract tumors.
- Diseases of the small and large intestine including surgical management of diverticulitis, colon and rectal cancer, and inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis).
- Anorectal disease including management of hemorrhoids and various benign and malignant conditions of the anal canal.
- Obesity surgery including gastric bypass for morbid obesity.
- A broad array of advanced Laparoscopic procedures are available through specialty trained surgeons.
Our Academic Mission
As a university hospital in partnership with the University of Vermont, our surgeons are intensely interested in teaching technologies and approaches to the physicians of tomorrow.
Multiple research efforts are underway to evaluate cutting-edge treatments and investigate new concepts in the management of gastrointestinal disease. General Surgery specialties include:
While education and research are critical roles for our surgeons, our heart and soul is providing excellent care -- putting patients first with the help of our first-rate support staff.
Find a UVM Medical Center physician or schedule an appointment by calling 802-847-3344.