Victoria Buffum Endowment
Victoria (Vicki) Buffum was an amazing woman who lost her battle with cancer in 2002 at the age of 58. During her cancer journey she touched the lives of many and was loved by all. She always brought out the best in people and inspired all of those she came in contact with to think creatively and to reach out to others.
During her own experience as a patient at The University of Vermont Medical Center Hematology & Oncology Program, she became devoted to trying to improve the experience associated with a catastrophic illness such as cancer. Vicki wanted to see the process of moving through the medical care process become more "patient friendly" and focused on patients and families. She wanted to ease the burden of individuals (and their families) trying to understand their illness and move through the challenges of treatment. Her goal was to support programs that would help facilitate the way that the Hematology & Oncology Program delivers care to patients and their families. Buffum funded this endowment through her generous personal philanthropy in support of her goal.
Following Victoria's gift, friends and family and The UVM Cancer Center clinicians established a committee to review the distributions from the endowment, aligned and united by Victoria's mission and commitment to cancer patient support. Applications may be written for programs or projects directed at providing resources or services for patients and families. Applications must address the goals of the endowment listed below:
- The development of education and training modules that foster patient/health care provider communications.
- The development of educational programs focusing on patient and family issues related to blood diseases and cancer.
- Pilot funding for no more than 3 years.
- Projects from health care providers for supportive care research.
- Development of patient support groups focusing on different blood and cancer disease sites.
- Development of educational outreach programs within the community and region promoting a multitude of cancer care issues.
- Development of patient-friendly environment to promote the above goals and facilitate patient/caregiver interactions.
For more information on the Buffum Endowment and Buffum Fund, please contact:
Senior Director of Administration, Academic Health Sciences
UVM Foundation and UVM Medical Center Foundation
89 Beaumont Avenue, Courtyard at Given N-322
Burlington, VT 05405