Have a question?
Our Nurse Navigators and American Cancer Society Patient Navigator are here Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm to answer your questions. Give us a call.
The University of Vermont Medical Center provides you with access to nationally recognized experts in head & neck cancer care & research. When you become a patient of ours, a dedicated Nurse Navigator will coordinate your care throughout your cancer diagnosis & treatment procedures.
Head & Neck Cancer Care at UVM Medical Center
Head & neck cancer is a family of cancers that can affect most parts of the head and neck. Head & neck cancer could be any of the following:
- Thyroid cancer
- Tongue cancer
- Salivary gland cancer
- Floor of mouth cancer
- Gum and other mouth cancer
- Nasopharynx cancer
- Tonsil cancer
- Larynx cancer
- Oropharynx cancer
- Hypopharynx cancer
The expert physicians and staff are dedicated to providing you with superior care. In a single visit, you may see a:
- Radiation oncologist
- Head & neck surgeon
- Medical oncologist
- Speech & language specialist
- Cancer patient support specialist
With our multidisciplinary approach, you are sure to receive the most advanced care in the area. As a university hospital and health system, our care is backed by research. We make all our recommendations based on the latest thinking in the field.
Diagnosis of Head & Neck Cancer
The UVM Medical Center uses the latest technology to provide head and neck cancer diagnosis. Our team will assess your condition and recommend a diagnostic test that makes the most sense for you. Your doctor may recommend any of the following:
- Physical exam - Your doctor will examine your head and neck to feel for any lumps, swelling or abnormalities
- Blood tests - Sometimes blood work can show signs of cancer
- , including:
- Minimally invasive biopsies - At The UVM Medical Center, our doctors try to use minimally invasive biopsies, using an ultrasound-guided needle to take a sample of tissue to look for signs of cancer. This way you don't have to undergo a major surgery for diagnosis.
Many times a combination of these diagnostic tests will be used to identify cancer you may have. We deliver efficient patient care through a concerted effort to complete all necessary diagnostic testing prior to your first visit. This enables us to provide you with a clear treatment plan at the end of your first clinic visit.
Head & Neck Cancer Treatments
This section consists of a brief intro text that highlights the treatments and/or procedures that UVM Medical Center offers related to this condition. Write an introductory sentence and then list the treatments offered for this condition in a bulleted list. You should provide a brief description of each treatment and include an in-line link to the appropriate treatment page, if
Once we have diagnosed your condition, the next step is to move into treatment. Depending on the type of neck or head cancer you have, we will treat you with:
- Multimodality treatment plans- therapy that combines more than one method of
- Chemotherapy and targeted therapy
The UVM Medical Center provides a variety of Cancer support resources including: