If the skin of your eyelids is sagging or loose, or you have puffy bags under them, an eye-lift, blepharoplasty, can help you look younger and more rested.
Our plastic surgeons perform this eyelid surgery to remove excess skin and fat and tighten the skin around your eyes. We can often perform these procedures right in our office. It can take just a few minutes for you to look and feel your best.
Eye Lift: Our Approach
We want you to be happy with your appearance after your outpatient procedure.
- Realistic expectations: We listen to you, learn what you want and advise you as to what an eye-lift can do for you. Routine eye-lift procedures do not change the shape of your eye. But you will look younger and more rested.
- Undetectable scars: When we make incisions in your eyelids we make them where the scar will not be visible. When your scar heals, it will appear to be just a normal eye crease.
- Expertise and judgment: Our team of plastic surgeons has more than 50 years of experience. We have the judgment and skill you can count on to help you decide if an eye-lift is right for you.
- Accredited surgical facilities: If you decide to have both and upper and lower eyelid surgery at the same time, we will perform the procedures at our surgical center. We use only facilities that are fully accredited by the University of Vermont. Our facilities are safe, well-equipped and comfortable.
- Board-certified plastic surgeons: All of our doctors are fully qualified plastic surgeons with specific training in eyelid surgery. Not every doctor who offers cosmetic procedures is trained in plastic surgery. At our center, you receive care from the most qualified doctors in our region, who ensure a safe, effective procedure.
Upper and Lower Eye Lifts
Most eye-lift procedures are simple and quick procedures done in our office under local anesthetic. They typically take minutes rather than hours. For upper eyelid procedures, you may even be able to drive yourself home from our office.
If you are having eye-lifts on both your upper and lower lids at the same time, we may perform the procedures at our surgery center under intravenous (IV) sedation.
What to expect from eye-lifts:
- Upper eyelid: We make a small incision across your eyelid to access pockets of fat. We remove the fat and any excess skin then close the incision. When the incision heals, it will look like a normal eye crease.
- Lower eyelid: We make an incision under the eyelashes or from the inside of the eyelid. We remove fat and excess skin and close the incision. When it heals, the scar will not be visible.
What an Eye-Lift Can Improve
Age, work or seasonal allergies can cause your eyes to develop sagging skin or look puffy.
- Hanging eyelid skin: Your upper eyelid can droop and hang down as you get older.
- Puffy appearance around the eyes: Seasonal allergies and other irritations can stretch and loosen your skin. Over time, this can make the areas around your eyes look puffy.
- Tired appearance around eyes: Age, lack of sleep and worry can make the skin around your eye become loose and sag or droop.
Preparing for Your Procedure
Most eye-lift procedures can be done in our office under local anesthetic. You are awake during the procedure but do not feel any pain. However, if you are having both upper and lower eyelids done together, we often do this under IV sedation at one of our surgical facilities.
After your procedure, you will be able to get back to your normal life quickly, with only a few restrictions:
- Contact lenses: You cannot wear contact lenses for up to 2 weeks after an eye-lift procedure. Make sure you bring your prescription glasses with you.
- Transport home: For upper eyelid procedures, you may be able to drive yourself home. For upper and lower eyelid surgery and/or if you need IV sedation, you will need someone to drive you home.
- Lifting objects: For 2 weeks after a procedure you should not lift heavy objects or put pressure on your head or neck. You may need to make special arrangements if your work or lifestyle requires lifting.
Related Elective Procedures
We offer a range of procedures that can help you look your best. Learn more about our cosmetic surgery options.
- Mommy makeover: This combination of cosmetic procedures helps women regain the stomachs and breasts they want after pregnancy. Read about our mommy makeovers.
- Injectables: If you have wrinkles or lines on your face, or if your breasts appear less full following pregnancy, we can restore a more youthful look with simple injectable procedures.
- Nose job: We can change the shape, angle and/or size of your nose with an outpatient surgical procedure called a rhinoplasty.
- Face-lift: During this surgical procedure, we lift up the skin of your face to tighten and smooth the muscles and tissues beneath. Learn more about face-lifts.