Kale Quesadillas: An Easy Recipe for Health!
Kale is certainly the vegetable du jour. Why? Kale is so chock-full of vitamins it’s considered a super food. We see it in all kinds of recipes from kale chips to kale salads. Here’s a simple recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser for your family!
Kale’s Nutrition Profile
Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat. One cup of kale has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat. It is great for aiding in digestion and elimination with its great fiber content. It’s also filled with so many nutrients, vitamins, as well as folate and magnesium. It is also a very good source of vitamin B6, dietary fiber, calcium, potassium, vitamin E, vitamin B2, iron, vitamin B1, omega-3 fatty acids phosphorus, protein, and niacin.
How to Cook With Kale
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
What Spices Go Well With Kale
The category of leafy greens is quite large and includes kale, Swiss chard, collard greens and mustard greens, just to name a few. Pair greens with basil, bay leaf,coriander, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, marjoram, oregano, nutmeg and rosemary.
- 1Tbspolive oil
- 1/3cupred pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3cuponion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2cupscups thinly sliced kale, stems removed
- 3/4cupgrated cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add chopped pepper and onion, and cook until softened (around 3 minutes). Sprinkle with cumin and add kale, stirring gently. Cook until kale is cooked through and soft, then remove from heat.
- Heat another pan over medium heat. Place tortilla in pan, and add half of cheese and kale mixture.
- Fold tortilla in half, and cook over medium heat until cheese begins to melt. Flip, and remove from heat when all of the cheese is melted.
- Repeat steps 2-3. Cut quesadillas in half and enjoy.
Get more recipes from the UVM Medical Center. View our Recipe Collection by clicking here.
Get even more recipes from Vermont Harvest of the Month.