Message from the Director
It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to our PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program website. Thank you for your interest and consideration in our program focused on the Ambulatory Care and Specialty Pharmacy service areas.
The University of Vermont (UVM) Medical Center is the only Academic Medical Center in the state of Vermont. At UVM Medical Center our mission is to improve the health of the people in the communities we serve by integrating patient care, education and research in a caring environment to a population of more than a million throughout Vermont and northern New York. We are committed to delivering high-quality academic health care to a rural region and are committed to creating a culture that is equitable, diverse, and inclusive for our employees, patients, and communities we serve.
Our residency program is designed to provide you with a comprehensive and dynamic learning experience. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our diverse patient population, collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, and gain exposure to a wide range of disease states and practice settings. This will be accomplished by rotating through a variety of clinics, the hospital, home infusion, and staffing alongside our specialty and retail Med to Beds pharmacists and technicians.
Other aspects of our program to highlight include:
- Diverse Learning Opportunities: A range of learning experiences from home infusion and primary care to pharmacy administration and research.
- Mentorship: As part of our resident wellness and wellbeing program we pair you with a mentor. Your assigned mentor is an experienced pharmacy preceptor who will be dedicated to your professional growth.
- Research: We have a dedicated research mentor for all residents who will lead topic discussions about research and coach you through the entire research process.
- Personalized Growth: Our program has a mix of required and elective rotations to give you flexibility in designing a schedule that matches your interests and career goals.
Our program will prepare residents to:
- Pursue and obtain a PGY-2 resident position
- Pursue and obtain positions in specialty and ambulatory care
- Achieve Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS) certification
- Achieve Certified Specialty Pharmacist (CSP) certification
Outside of residency, Burlington is one of the country’s most livable small cities. Burlington offers something for everyone from a sophisticated arts scene to countless opportunities to enjoy concerts, galleries, restaurants or nightlife. Head outdoors and you’ll find kayaking, sailing, biking along the causeway, hiking and skiing all within an hour's drive. I encourage every resident to take some time to enjoy all of the amazing opportunities Vermont has to offer.
Thank you for your interest program. If you have any questions as you work through the application process please do not hesitate to reach out.
Please visit our booth at the following showcases:
- Mass College of Pharmacy Residency Showcase in Boston, MA - October 5th, 2023 from 9 AM - 12 PM EST
- ACCP Virtual Residency Showcase - October 26th, 2023 from 5-8 PM CDT
- ASHP Midyear Residency Showcase in Anaheim, CA - December 4th, 2023 from 1-4 PM PST